Saturday, December 03, 2005

sadness

I am feeling very, very distressed about the execution of Van Nguyen. I know I don't need to explain that to my friends - I believe (and hope) that you all understand. What makes me the most upset is the division of people on this issue here in Australia. There are plenty of people who were supportive of his death, or at least remained unsympathetic to his plight. It makes me feel physically sick. And disillusioned.

This has become a bandwagon-issue, and I realise that I'm another bleeding heart riding it, but I think it deserves to be if it encourages people to think about what happened to that kid, and why, and why we should never, ever let it happen again to anybody.

J

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, life can be dreadful at times. V. Nguyen knew the rules and penalities and took the risk. He's just a crim and deserves what he gets.

However, this is all media hype. You must keep in mind that most aussies are racist. This is just another way of saying that OZ is better that all its darker-skinned neighbours.

The real bandwagon-issue is how Howard is turning OZ into a police state. Did I read that the police can now detain a "suspect" for 90-days!

Cheers and keep blogging!

To not be a liberal at 20+ years, means you have no heart. To not be a conservative at 40+ years, means you have no brains.

2:48 PM  
Blogger kenandjerry said...

I think you may have misunderstood me. I do think that he was a crim but I vehemently object to the idea that he deserved to die.

I have no wish to dictate to other people how to think, but I personally strongly beleive that we have sanctions against such crimes as drug trafficking and murder out of a fundamental respect for the importance of human life. This respect, and our moral basis on which to enforce such sanctions, is lost when one is able to rationalise the murder of a human being as punishment.

I cannot adequately rationalise the fact that I object most strenuously to the murder of murderers (direct or indirect) but it is how I feel and your adage about being a liberal and then a conservative later is one I have most definately heard before!

In the meantime, this whole affair makes me sick.

5:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home